Tuesday 24 July 2007

Aunty RW's Carrot Cake

My Aunty RW. made what I think of as the closest to ultimate carrot cake.
Beautifully moist in texture and ever so easy to put together although admittedly when I made it, I did not follow the original recipe. However it did result in an even simpler to put together carrot cake although I'm still playing around with the process to make the cake more moist. I find that it can get quite stoggy (thick) and dense in texture.

Apparently my mom used to make carrot cake just to make sure my brother and I ate our vegetables!

[ d e f i n i t i o n ]
Ultimate Carrot Cake
Moist crumbly texture without being cloyingly sweet. Must have slight fibrous crunch of finely shreded carrots, and be some how light although choc-a- bloc full of ingredients. False sense of being somewhat healthy and good for you! Must also be iced with Ultimate Cream Cheese Frosting.

Aunty RW's Recipe
Carrot Cake

500g carrots, grated
300 flour
250 brown sugar
2tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
_ tsp salt
3 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
_ c vegetable oil
2ts vanilla essence
150g pineapples, chopped
80g raisins
80g walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped

Preheat oven to 175C, prepare 12” x 8” pan.
In large bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon powder and combine with brown sugar, mix well. Add carrots and raisins. Mix well.
Add vanilla to eggs, beat slightly.
Add eggs, oil, pineapple, nuts to flour mixture and stir until all moisten.
Pour into prepared pan, bake 30-40 mins or until toothpick inserted into cake centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 15 mins, turn onto rack to cool.


No comments: